Information Technology - Real Estate - Road Rally - Airsoft - Military Simulation

Google

Sunday, July 05, 2009

OSX on a Dell Mini 9

Well, my wife's iBook G4 12" is finally starting to show it's age, so I just joined the netbook craze, settling on a Dell Mini 9. Although there were definitely cheaper alternatives, I got a great deal on the Dell model that included the 32GB SSD and 2GB RAM upgrades which allowed me to use OSX flawlessly. This particular configuration allows for all the functionality that currently plagues most other netbooks when running OSX, particularly the WiFi, built-in Ethernet, sound, and sleep mode. I'm definitely impressed with the build quality and performance. Although both don't match my MacBook Pro, it cost roughly 1/4 the price of it, 1/3 the price of a MacBook and provides all the basic functionality needed for mobile computing. QuickTime movies work well. The upgrade to 10.5.7 went pretty smoothly as there's quite a bit of info on how to do it available online. This install is certainly not for the tech-illiterate, but there's plenty of info available on My Dell Mini. Note that this setup is not endorsed or supported by either Dell nor Apple, and may violate the terms of your EULA, so caveat emptor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home