Information Technology - Real Estate - Road Rally - Airsoft - Military Simulation

Google

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Google and Porsche Problems

You gotta love the internet. I've been having a problem with my 2001 Porsche Boxster (my trophy from my dot-com days) where I couldn't always get the key in or out of the ignition to start the darn thing. It's been an annoyance, but I've put up with it for the better part of two years since for the most part, it's been relegated to the status of garage queen. Finally, about a month ago, after my wife and I enjoyed a meal at the good old Olive Garden, the key refused to come out. After "wiggling it" a bit, it finally came out, but for some reason, it stayed in "accessory" mode and left the radio and pretty much anything electrical on. I parked it back in its home, and by the next week when the weather was good, it wouldn't start at all. Dead battery... Well, after a quick call to the nearest Porsche dealer (120 miles away), I got a quote for $700-$800 to have it picked up, fixed, and delivered back to my doorstep. Being unemployed, I didn't really see the need to spend that kind of money for a car I drive maybe once or twice a month, so I did what any IT person would do when they ran across a problem that they couldn't figure out on there own. I "googled" the problem and lo and behold, it's a known problem with all Porsches made between 97-03. An electronic ignition switch that has a plastic head that fails and the steps looked simple enough (or so it seemed). After replacing the faulty plastic window regulator on my Lexus last year, I figured "how hard can it really be"? The only real problem being that Porsche stopped selling the replacement part a few years ago because of the high failure rate, but it happens that Porsche still continues to use VW/Audi parts. A quick look at some of the switches and cup holders in an Audi A4, and it's clear that Porsche sourced them from VW/Audi. So I called up the local VW dealer (only 15 miles away) and had them order the part. Seems that even VW is having problems getting this part because the guy that answered the phone wasn't quite sure he could still order Audi parts. VW yes, Audi not sure since they no longer sold Audis. Anyways, the part took three days to arrive and I started out today by ripping apart the underside of the dash as the "guide" I found on the internet had suggested. Problem #1 arose when it suggested I take out the driver's seat to get better positioning under the dash. Seems that Porsche in their infinite wisdom decided to use "security" bolts that held the seats in place with some kind of "six pointed star" bolt that was really stubborn coming out with a standard hex socket. After checking with neighbors and the local Sears, it seemed that I was out of luck, but was still determined to replace the "electronic ignition switch". Now, I had most of what I needed out of the car and could get to one of the retaining screws that held the switch in, but access to the other was blocked by the driver's side vent that wouldn't seem to come out as easily as the "guide" had suggested. Another quick trip to Google and I found another "guide" on how to actually remove the entire driver's side vent assembly. After dropping the screwdriver a few times, I finally got the driver's side vent out and the tubing that was in the way and I could now get to the other side of the ignition switch and the remaining retaining screw that held the switch in place. After fumbling around and dropping screwdrivers a few more times (once behind the fusebox which necessitated removal of the fusebox just to retrieve my screwdriver!) and I was on my way. Replacing the switch was as simple as unplugging it, removing the retaining screws, and sliding the old one out! After spending another hour or so putting everything back the way it was, I was able to start my baby back up and take it out for a spin. The moral of the story boys and girls is that Google is your friend, regardless of what you're looking for! A quick thanks to George Giggey at industryfigure.com and the folks over at the Renntech.org forums for compiling all the information necessary to complete the task!


Here's what the old part looked like. Kinda looks like dried ketchup stuck in the switch! There was a lot more before I "cleaned" it up! Unfortunately, the camera on my MacBook Pro won't pick it up, but if you were to look closely at it, you'd find the "4 interlocking rings" Audi logo stamped right on the switch!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home